Question concerning internal string usage

Gerhard Gruber sparhawk at gmx.at
Thu Feb 14 15:26:41 CST 2002

Some functions are duplicated with their only difference being that one
of them is wide character (W) and the other is ASCII (A). Of course it
makes sense to convert one of them into the other and reuse the existing
code. What I was wondering about, though is that, at least in the
exmaple of files/profile.c the W functions are converting to A instead
the other way around. Shouldn't we expect some problems with systems
using wide characters or is this handled such that these characters are
represented as more then one characters in ASCII? In Windows I'm pretty
sure that A is always converted to W for such functions.