License change vote results

Alexandre Julliard julliard at winehq.com
Mon Feb 18 21:25:31 CST 2002

Folks,

Here is the summary of the votes I received in answer to the request
to switch to a copyleft-style license:

                          Agree        Disagree        Indifferent

All votes:               76 (70%)       15 (14%)        17 (16%)

Contributors:            39 (66%)        7 (12%)        13 (22%)

Contrib. weighted:       59 (64%)       13 (14%)        20 (22%)

The first line counts all the votes I received. The second line counts
the votes of all people/companies who contributed some code to the
project. The last line counts all contributors again but with each
being given 1, 2, or 3 votes depending on the importance of his
contributions (this evaluation is obviously a bit subjective, but I
think the overall trend is clear).

The obvious result of this vote is that my previous conclusion was
wrong: there is clearly widespread support in the community for a
copyleft-style license. With 2 out of 3 contributors in favor of the
switch, and less than 15% opposed to it, it's clear that we are going
to proceed with the change.

We now have to decide the implementation details, like the exact
license used, whether to require copyright assignments, etc.  My
suggestion is that we create a separate mailing list to discuss that,
to avoid drowning wine-devel under yet another license flame war.

--
Alexandre Julliard
julliard at winehq.com