Half Life 2 error -- err:mmio:MMIO_ParseExtA

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Mon Jun 6 05:47:39 CDT 2005

> I just copied the dlls from win2k. Is there a document approach to
> install Internet Explorer through WINE?
> I found this page: http://www.von-thadden.de/Joachim/WineTools/  is this
> the way to do it?
This is one way, and perhaps the easiest way. I've installed IE6 manually, but
this is quite hacky.

I recommend WineTools. But copying the dlls should be enought.

> Also, I used to be able to specify overrides on the command line, that
> functionality seems to have been removed, with no mention of where it is
> now.  Could you help me find the info in an FAQ or something please?
>
> wine --dll shdocvw,mshtml=n Steam.exe -applaunch 220
>
> I found this alternative approach from the man page:
>
> WINEDLLOVERRIDES="shdocvw,mshtml=n"
>
> wine Steam.exe -applaunch 220
>
> This now starts, updates etc, but the login boxes are still blank, no
> text and no way to enter into them.
The dlloverrides is correct.
You have to run Steam in a Desktop Window. I've had a look at this problem a
few months ago and I have an incorrect fix. I'll try to really fix this next
week.

> I've not patched and built with Oliver Stieber's latest D3D9 patch.  has
> anyone had success with the normal stable packages?  I am using 20050310
> at present
I think you'll need Olivers D3D9 patch.
Does anyone have an update on the attempts to merge this patch?

Stefan