[Wine] RFD: create new list and forum 'wine-newbies'

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 12:18:58 CDT 2008

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 10:08 AM, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 10:02 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >    I'm willing to help although being experienced at my level may not
>  >  be all that helpful. Who knows until I try, right? ;-)
>
>  I'm sure you'll be great.

With your help.

>  >    Personally I'd prefer the list not be split. It seems a shame that
>  >  this forum link gets added which then causes more traffic and that
>  >  traffic drives away our more experienced users. As an alternative,
>  >  decouple the forum and the list and get helpful folks to pay attention
>  >  to the forums.
>
>  That won't fly, I'm afraid.   I can't really deal with forums, I much
>  prefer email, and I think other oldtimers probably feel the same way.

I don't like forums much either but they do have the advantage of
being more linear and (I think) searchable. If we can get more info
into the forums so that folks search out their solutions instead of
just posting quickly hoping for a quick answer then over the long run
that will be good. 8 or 9 years here playing with Linux at one level
or another and without Google searching for old email threads I'd be
dead I think. With it I manage to make Linux about 85% of my computer
usage. (Although falling lately as I am stock trading day in and day
out on a Windows app that won't run under Wine yet.)

>  I think having both wine-newbies and wine-users,
>  both with forum/list gateways, might work out nicely.

Unless newbies sign up for both forums, end up on both lists asking
the same questions. Then I think little will be accomplished. If we
can get newbie questions confined to the newbie forum then it might
well work.

Cheers,
Mark