[Wine] Re: Dos very old app

vitamin wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Mar 30 13:57:06 CDT 2008

Mark Knecht wrote:
> Again, I have VERY little experience in this area under wine but in
> Windows this is essentially what you'd be doing.

Mark, this is not windows. All what you think you know about windows does not apply to Xorg and Wine. Please don't send users on a wild goos chaise if you don't know what you talking about.

Lorenzo, ignore everything Mark told you. Xorg can not switch colors on-the-fly. At a minimum you'll have to start a separate X session:

Code:
xinit /usr/bin/wine WP.EXE -- :1 -depth 8

However that might not work with your video drivers/system setup. If that won't work, you can try and force Wine to lie to the app about BPP. However that will break all the programs run on Wine and you will have to manually edit Wine's user.reg file.
Here is the registry key:

Code:
[HKCU\Software\Wine\X11 Driver]
ScreenDepth=8