[Wine] Try wineprefixcreate to repair old .wine instead of deleting

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 16:28:10 CDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 2:00 PM, Austin English <austinenglish at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 3:52 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >
>  > On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 1:47 PM, Austin English <austinenglish at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >  >  If ~/.wine doesn't exists when you run an app for the first time, the
>  >  >  prefix is automatically created. I.e.,
>  >  >  $ rm -rf ~/.wine
>  >  >  $ wine notepad
>  >
>  >  This is on the WineHQ Wine HowTo page where? Clearly I've never done
>  >  it this way so you now have one convert.
>
>  It's alluded to in the FAQ, but should be made more clear. Someone
>  with a flair with words/instructions care to update the FAQ?

It seems that the actual FAQ page ( http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ )
doesn't mention either winprefixcreate or 'wine notepad' so clearly
there is at least a little bit of writing that could be done.

I don't have a clue about the how of modifying a Wiki, Never done it myself.

>  >  How is this different than
>  >
>  >  rm -rf .wine
>  >  winecfg
>
>  The only difference would be that you launch winecfg, whereas I
>  launched notepad ;-)

I've used winecfg in the past so as to configure Alsa and drive D: as
a CDROM. If I run 'wine notepad' and then launch into a full blown
install of some game do I have sound? Does that setup recognize the
CD? I don't know as I haven't ever done it that way.

- Mark