Alsa initialization change

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Mon Jun 13 09:01:23 CDT 2005

Attached is a fairly sizable patch that revamps the
way Alsa initialization is done.

With this patch, Wine now does the following:  scan all cards given
by Alsa (not brute force 0-5), respect alsa defaults
and environment variable overrides, probe to see
if a reported Alsa device is useful (e.g. strip my
Modem from the list of reported sound cards),
and provide a mechanism for an end user to explicitly
configure Wine to use Alsa.

The default configuration values should 'just work'
in most cases, but the following registry values are
permitted to provide finer control:

**  [Software\Wine\Wine\Config\ALSA]
**  AutoScanCards           Whether or not to scan all known sound cards
**                          and add them to Wine's list (default yes)
**  AutoScanDevices         Whether or not to scan all known PCM devices
**                          on each card (default no)
**  UsePlugDevice           Whether or not to use the plug:hw device,
**                          which automagically handles rate conversion (def yes)
**  DeviceCount             If present, specifies the number of hard coded
**                          Alsa devices to add to Wine's list; default 0
**  DevicePCMn              Specifies the Alsa PCM devices to open for
**                          Device n (where n goes from 1 to DeviceCount)
**  DeviceCTLn              Specifies the Alsa control devices to open for
**                          Device n (where n goes from 1 to DeviceCount)
**
**                          Using AutoScanCards no, and then Devicexxx info
**                          is a way to exactly specify the devices used by Wine.

I'd appreciate anyone passionately interested in Alsa
(Kevin?  Robert?) taking the time to try this patch.

I've tried to 'do no harm', but this is a material enough
change that I'm not yet comfortable submitting it to wine-patches.

fwiw, there is a (fairly thin) thread on the alsa dev lists
regerading this here:
   http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=7452725&forum_id=1752

Cheers,

Jeremy