Alsa initialization change

Kevin Koltzau kevin at plop.org
Mon Jun 13 21:02:01 CDT 2005

On Monday 13 June 2005 10:01 am, Jeremy White wrote:
> Attached is a fairly sizable patch that revamps the
> way Alsa initialization is done.

In ALSA_TestDeviceForWine, the call to snd_pcm_open blocks if I have
any applications currently using my sound card, and does not complete
until all other apps accessing alsa close, effectively freezing wine
mixing is not supported on my card, so only one application
can open hw at a time, all others will block on snd_pcm_open
it does, however, work with
[ALSA]
"AutoScanCards"="n"
"DeviceCount"="1"
"DevicePCM1"="default"
"DeviceCTL1"="default"

Sound card is standard AC'97 that comes with nForce4
# lspci -v -s 00:04.0
0000:00:04.0 Multimedia audio controller: nVidia Corporation CK804 AC'97 Audio Controller (rev a2)
        Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc.: Unknown device 812a
        Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 22
        I/O ports at dc00
        I/O ports at e000 [size=256]
        Memory at d2003000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]